martes, 7 de mayo de 2013

Ich spreche kein Deutsch

Back in April, myself & Giuseppe headed to Palma de Mallorca for a much needed long weekend in the sunshine. When our plane landed, we were both pretty gutted to find the sky full of clouds and threatening to rain... not quite the weekend we had hoped for!!! But thankfully, on Friday morning after a good night's sleep, we woke up to find BRILLIANT BLUE SKIES AND SUNSHINE!!!

Cue a wonderful weekend of cycling miles and miles along the coast towards the city centre, cocktails, sun, relaxing on the beach, tanning (and burning), and paddling in the sea.... perfect! 




One of the things I found really strange about Mallorca, was how many Germans there were. Some of my teachers had told me before I went that there is a large German community on the island, but I never expected it to be that many. In the hotel, in shops, in the street, in restaurants, on the beach...everywhere we went we were greeted with 'guten tag', and when we spoke Spanish, the main reply we seemed to get was a confused face, unsure how to reply. To be honest, it must have been confusing for them seeing a pale, blonde girl (passable for German although I'm probably slightly too short), and a wild-haired, tanned boy who by no means could be German. But still, it seemed bizarre to me that a Spanish island could feel so.... un-Spanish. I think I can probably cross off Germany from my list of countries to visit now, as I think I've already been there.



But all in all, a lovely weekend despite a shitty end, when Giuseppe's wallet and identity card were stolen.... a mad rush to the police station, a scary taxi drive to the airport, running through customs, a police report full of mistakes, a delayed bus back to Vigo, and arriving at 1am....I cannot complain. 

Considering the adventures I have planned for the Summer, I'm pretty sure this was my last weekend away while living here in Spain. I'm happy that it finished on a high, although let's not talk about the end of my year abroad... not quite ready for that yet.


Sorry this wasn't particularly exciting, but thankyou for continuing to read anyway. Your support means a lot, and I'm now up to 1150 views!! I will write another entry soon, I PROMISE!

Catherine x


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario