lunes, 26 de noviembre de 2012

Here I am at Camp Granada...



















The weekend I had been waiting for had FINALLY arrived! Having booked my flights on the spur of the moment that day my purse was stolen, I hadn't really been prepared for the beast of a journey that I had ahead of me! My voyage to Granada began at 12pm on the Friday. After a train journey from Vigo to Santiago, a bus to the airport, a flight to Malaga, and another bus to Granada, I finally arrived after 9 hours of travelling. Needless to say, I was exhausted, but also very excited to see Danny and Becky Chard, and to explore the city. We headed for drinks and tapas, but were all too tired to go out out, so had a reasonably early night so that we could make the most of Saturday and Sunday. 

When we woke up on Saturday morning the weather was pretty shitty, and it was raining really heavily. We wandered around the city which, despite the torrential rain, was still beautiful. It was nice to meet some of Danny's new friends too, including 2 Portuguese hippies from the Rainbow Tribe, that some of Danny's friends had found. They cooked us lunch, and told us about their beliefs... they hadn't worn shoes for 3 week straight, they don't believe in eating meat, or in working. It was a very surreal afternoon, that's for sure.

 Granada at night

Saturday night was one of my favourite parts of the weekend. We walked through the Arabic quarter, and up to Plaza de San Nicolas where we got an incredible view of the Alhambra all lit up at night. As lots of you know by now, I am a big fan of views, and I genuinely could have stood looking at that view for hours and hours. We walked up higher, ending up on a muddy track behind Albacin, with an even more spectacular view (and pretty muddy shoes too). Definitely worth the extra walk, and it's something that I won't forget for a long long time!
 
 Inside the Alhambra

When we woke up on Sunday morning, pretty hungover from too much vodka and red wine on Saturday night (the trail of falafel and clothes from the front door says it all), we were glad to see that it wasn't raining. We headed up to the Alhambra, running late of course. After power-walking through the park, we made it only half an hour late to see inside. As I've mentioned before, I'm a sucker for being a tourist, and I totally fell in love with the Alhambra. Honestly such a beautiful building....I don't think there were any parts that I didn't like. We walked around the gardens afterwards, and went to the top of the tower. Such a nice, chilled afternoon, taking in such an amazing city. 

The weekend was topped off with a yummy roast dinner at Casa Lopez, a welcoming and homely restaurant run by an English family. I hadn't realized how much I had missed Roast Beef and gravy! I then dragged a very sleepy Danny back up to the Arabic area again, because I had loved it so much the night before. All in all it was a lovely weekend, spent with lots of lovely people! Granada has definitely earned a place up there with my favourite cities, despite the hellish journey back!


Catherine x

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario